2010/06/07

What are bubble tea made of?

Many of you may wonder as you drink bubble tea. What is this made of out? Well, let's talk about the history before the ingredients. 
Bubble was invented in Taiwan in the 1980s, it was first spread to nearby East Asian countries, migrated to Canada before spreading to Chinatowns throughout the United States, and then to various trendy college towns along the West Coast.

The drink is a sweet flavored tea, mostly with tea base mixed with a fruit flavor or  milk. It usually contain small tapioca balls or pearls called "boba". Pearls made of jelly are also available in many places. Their name came from the marble-sized tapioca balls or "pearls" that are present and sit at the bottom of the cup. These chewy balls, although having little flavor, are sucked up through large wide straws and are consumed along with the drink.

I personally think that many people knows what kind of drink this is because of the multicultural in Canada but many of them does not know where it was invented and what the "pearls" are. I believe this is one of the best drink that was invented by Taiwan because it is known world-wide! I am very proud of that~ =]  So next time when you drink bubble tea, remember it was invented in Taiwan!! =)

6 comments:

  1. You know I just realized not long ago that the "Bubble" in bubble tea doesn't even mean the pearls...haha for the longest time I wondered why I have to always order "bbt with pearls" :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummmy!
    But sometimes i wish they weren't so expensive ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love bubble tea I just had one yesterday:P
    and I had the same problem as Peggy before haha but now I know why:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love bubble tea, I have it about once a week! Where do you think the best place to get it in Richmond is?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never knew the history of bubble tea :) It sure is a good invention! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. yum bubble tea is sooooo good <3
    im lovin it

    ReplyDelete